SFS Annual Meeting Code of Conduct
All members registering for the Society for Freshwater Science Annual Meeting must agree to abide by the following Code of Conduct:
The Society of Freshwater Science is an international scientific organization whose purpose is to promote further understanding of freshwater ecosystems and ecosystems at the interface between aquatic and terrestrial habitats. SFS members and authors of SFS publications are expected to adhere to the SFS Science-Based Policy and the SFS Statement of Ethics.
SFS meetings, open to SFS members and those interested in freshwater sciences, are among the most respected meetings in the freshwater science community. SFS is committed to providing a safe, productive and welcoming environment for all meeting participants and staff. All participants including, but not limited to, attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, SFS staff, service providers and others are expected to abide by this SFS Meetings Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct applies to all SFS meeting-related events including those sponsored by organizations other than SFS but held in conjunction with SFS events, in public or private facilities.
- Communicate openly with respect and consideration for others, valuing a diversity of views and opinions.
- Avoid personal attacks directed toward other attendees, participants, SFS staff and suppliers/vendors.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert SFS staff if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Respect the rules and policies of the meeting venue, hotels, SFS contracted facility, or any other venue.
- Request permission from speakers before recording or taking photographs during their presentation. Turn off any ringers or otherwise disrupting devices during oral or poster sessions.
- Harassment, intimidation or discrimination in any form.
- Physical, written, or verbal abuse of any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, SFS staff member, service provider or other meeting guest.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include, but are not limited to, verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, national origin, inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces or in presentations, threatening or stalking any attendee, speaker, volunteer, exhibitor, SFS staff member, service provider or other meeting guest.
It is important that our meeting be a place where no attendee or staff is ever belittled, criticized or made to feel unsafe. The following behavior will not be tolerated: